Smithick Ward Residents Association was formed in January 2017 in response to forces which have been affecting communities in our electoral ward in Falmouth.
Many residents have expressed concern about the number of Houses of Multiple Occupancy (HMO’s) in Falmouth. Some roads in Falmouth were now 85% HMO’s and this is significantly changing the local community feel of the town.
The Falmouth Neighbourhood Development Plan recognises that HMOs significantly influence the quality of life in our communities which have lost the joy of permanent neighbours. It is partly out of this (and the many planning applications for Purpose Built Student Accommodation blocks which often target inappropriate residential locations) that we decided to set up Smithick Ward Residents’ Association, to share a voice and to try and remain connected within this historic and beautiful area of Falmouth.
Our Aims plan to generate long term happy communities which benefit all.
OUR AIMS :
- To preserve the integrity of the Conservation Area, and provide a united voice to scrutinise planning applications which are inappropriate or detrimental to the chosen locality.
- Support for Article 4 within the emerging Falmouth Neighbourhood Development Plan.
- To support appropriate developments which support the needs of local residents.
- To work alongside Falmouth and Exeter Universities to foster good relations between students and permanent residents.
- To liaise with landlords and letting agents and various other bodies to either improve the condition of or regular maintenance of neglected properties and gardens.
- To promote participation in activities which generate community spirit and improve the quality of life for all, particularly isolated residents.
- To help reduce anti-social behaviour and vandalism within the area.
- To work alongside other Residents Association and Governing Bodies.